Dream Wired
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop
No Result
View All Result
Dream Wired
No Result
View All Result
Home Movie

Original Team on Getting Left Out of New Movie

Connie Marie by Connie Marie
April 16, 2024
in Movie
0
Original Team on Getting Left Out of New Movie
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


You might also like

George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

Watch the Trailer for James Van Der Beek’s Final Film ‘The Gates’

The Night Agent Team on Why Rose Is Absent in Season 3, Talk Future Return

The team behind the original 1999 film The Blair Witch Project didn’t know about the plan for a new movie in the horror franchise until it was announced during Lionsgate‘s CinemaCon presentation last week. But the filmmakers’ frustrations over their lack of involvement in the future of the series has been building for years.

“It’s bittersweet, honestly,” Ben Rock, production designer on the 1999 found-footage hit, tells The Hollywood Reporter about the planned reboot. He notes that no one from his film, including co-directors Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez, was involved in any significant way in the 2000 sequel, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, or the 2016 follow-up. Rock hopes this will change for the current project that is in the works from Lionsgate and Blumhouse, but so far, no one from the 1999 movie had been contacted or given a chance to pitch, he says.

“I do think that what has happened twice now was that the original creators were overlooked, and other people were brought in, all of whom were good,” says Rock, referring to Joe Berlinger’s 2000 sequel and Adam Wingard’s 2016 follow-up, Blair Witch. “But neither one of the sequels connected with audiences the way they wanted it to connect. And so it might at least be worth talking to some of the original creators.”

Rock was among the members of the original movie’s team to share reactions on social media to the news about the latest project. Among those chiming in was Mike Monello, a co-producer on the first movie who helped conceive the website claiming that the movie’s horrors were real and that the people appearing in it had gone missing. “Radical idea: You could try putting this project in the hands of the original team that made the first one,” Monello posted, tagging Jason Blum along with Lionsgate and Blumhouse. “You know, the team that actually has an entire franchise plan to reinvent what a Blair Witch movie could be?”

Joshua Leonard and Michael C. Williams in The Blair Witch Project.

Courtesy of Everett

Additionally, Joshua Leonard, one of the film’s three leads (alongside Heather Donahue and Michael C. Williams), posted on Instagram regarding his own frustrations. He learned about the planned new movie from a friend who sent a screenshot of a media report that used a still of Leonard as the main image. “I’m so proud of our little punk-rock movie, and I LOVE the fans who keep the flames burning,” Leonard wrote. “But at this point, it’s 25 years of disrespect from the folks who’ve pocketed the lion’s share (pun intended) of the profits from OUR work, and that feels both icky and classless.”

The Blair Witch Project was made for a paltry $35,000 (before marketing costs) and was an instant sensation when it debuted at the Sundance Film Festival in January 1999. Artisan Entertainment bought the movie and released it theatrically that June. It became a summer phenomenon en route to landing as one of the year’s 10 highest-grossing titles, not to mention one of the most profitable films ever made.

Rock met its directors in college and recalls earning $300 a week for his work on The Blair Witch Project, although he was also given backend points. Rock — who worked on creating the film’s mythology and wrote a special promoting the movie for the cable TV network Sci Fi, in addition to his production design duties — has nothing but fond memories from his experience with it. Later, Artisan hired him to consult on the franchise in the lead-up to the 2000 film, which was released just over a year after the first one hit theaters, but he didn’t work on the sequel itself. Sánchez, who has recently worked as a television director on such projects as Yellowjackets and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, and Myrick, who helmed the forthcoming documentary Triple 7, have nominal executive producer credits on both sequels.

“I understand that you can be too close to something, and maybe an outside perspective is helpful, but in aggregate, it didn’t work,” Rock says of Book of Shadows. “They didn’t make the hit that they wanted to make.” He emphasizes that he has a lot of respect for Blumhouse and adds, “I’m hoping Blumhouse isn’t like, ‘Hey, let’s go reboot this without talking to anybody [from the first one].’ But they haven’t talked to any of us.”

THR has reached out to Lionsgate and Blumhouse for comment.

Rock recalls that back in the 2000s, Myrick and Sánchez had been hoping to work on a period piece set in the 1700s as a follow-up to their film before the development process ultimately petered out. Rock isn’t sure that another modern-day, shaky-footage film would be the best way to move the franchise forward, which is why he thinks his film’s creative team would be best suited for understanding what made it work.

“I don’t know how you outdo what we did,” he says. “But I care about the franchise, so whoever does it, I hope they handle it with care.”



Source link

Tags: LeftMovieOriginalteam
Share30Tweet19
Connie Marie

Connie Marie

Recommended For You

George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

The world of Westeros keeps expanding, but it sounds like one of its latest chapters could have turned out very different. According to the showrunner of A Knight...

Read more

Watch the Trailer for James Van Der Beek’s Final Film ‘The Gates’

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
Watch the Trailer for James Van Der Beek’s Final Film ‘The Gates’

James Van Der Beek’s final film role has been revealed. The late actor stars as a sinister pastor with a dark secret in the trailer for upcoming thriller...

Read more

The Night Agent Team on Why Rose Is Absent in Season 3, Talk Future Return

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
The Night Agent Team on Why Rose Is Absent in Season 3, Talk Future Return

The creative team behind The Night Agent is sharing details about Season 3’s most noticeable changes, the absence of Rose. As viewers question why the character does not...

Read more

Robert Duvall Remembered by Tender Mercies Director Bruce Beresford

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
Robert Duvall Remembered by Tender Mercies Director Bruce Beresford

Following the death of the legendary actor Robert Duvall on Sunday at the age of 95, Bruce Beresford, the Australian filmmaker who directed Duvall in 1983’s Tender Mercies,...

Read more

2DIE4 – NYC PREMIERE in IMAX (with spare tickets for Redditors)(the first-ever use of anamorphic lenses in an IMAX release)

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
2DIE4 – NYC PREMIERE in IMAX (with spare tickets for Redditors)(the first-ever use of anamorphic lenses in an IMAX release)

Hey guys, My name is Salomão Abdala, I'm the director of 2DIE4, a rare case of a racing-independent-movie, that is also an IMAX RELEASE. 2DIE4 actually marks the...

Read more
Next Post
Shogun Season 1 Episode 9 Review: Crimson Sky

Shogun Season 1 Episode 9 Review: Crimson Sky

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Celebrity
  • Comics
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • Music
  • TV
  • Uncategorized

CATEGORIES

  • Celebrity
  • Comics
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • Music
  • TV
  • Uncategorized
No Result
View All Result

Recent News

  • Senate Democrats Threaten Investigation Of Paramount’s WBD Bid
  • ‘ANTM’ Cycle 3 Winner Eva Marcille Says She Was Shocked by Claims in Doc
  • 2000 AD Will Arrive Weekly In The USA Via Lunar Distribution

Copyright © 2025 DramaWired.
DramaWired is a content aggregator and not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop

Copyright © 2025 DramaWired.
DramaWired is a content aggregator and not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In