Dream Wired
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop
No Result
View All Result
Dream Wired
No Result
View All Result
Home Movie

The Threats That Led the Toronto Film Festival to Pull Russians at War

Connie Marie by Connie Marie
September 18, 2024
in Movie
0
The Threats That Led the Toronto Film Festival to Pull Russians at War
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


You might also like

Mickey Rourke, Peter Facinelli Movie ‘Bring the Law’ Gets Release

Hey /r/movies! I’m Bart Layton. I’ve directed CRIME 101, AMERICAN ANIMALS, and THE IMPOSTER. CRIME 101 is out in theaters now and stars Chris Hemsworth, Halle Berry, Mark Ruffalo, Barry Keoghan, Monica Barbaro. Ask me anything!

George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) has revealed that “hundreds” of threats made against staff led to the festival taking the unprecedented decision to pull controversial documentary Russians at War  from the line-up last week – including threats of violence and sexual assault.

TIFF said last Thursday it had been “forced to pause” three upcoming public screenings of Russian-Canadian director Anastasia Trofimova’s documentary, after being “made aware of significant threats to festival operations and public safety.” The doc was slated to have its North American premiere across the fest’s final Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

“This decision has been made in order to ensure the safety of all festival guests, staff, and volunteers,” the festival added in a statement.

The announcement was met with some skepticism from Canada’s documentary and media communities, with several publications speculating that TIFF had simply gotten cold feet in the face of public protests and political pressure.

However, on Tuesday afternoon the festival made good on its promise to go ahead with the film, hosting afternoon and evening screenings at its own TIFF Lightbox. Introducing the documentary before an anxious crowd at 2 p.m. E.T., TIFF CEO Cameron Bailey told attendees of the “vocal opposition” his team had received to its decision to screen the film.

“Most of that was civil and peaceful,” Bailey said. “Some of it was terrifying.”

Bailey continued, “In emails and phone calls, TIFF staff received hundreds of instances of verbal abuse. Our staff also received threats of violence, including threats of sexual violence. We were horrified, and our staff members were understandably frightened.

“We also learned of plans to disrupt or stop the screenings. Because last week’s screenings were scheduled at a 14-screen multiplex on some of the festival’s busiest days, we determined that it would be safer not to go ahead with those plans.”

Bailey did not expand on the latter, but The Hollywood Reporter understands that a number of former TIFF staffers had received inquiries about theater floor plans, along with questions about where talent exactly enters and exits from.

The screens at Toronto’s Scotiabank Richmond multiplex – where the documentary was originally scheduled to play – do not have side entrances for talent to enter for Q&As. They must use the same entrance as cinemagoers. The festival’s own Lightbox multiplex, by contrast, has dedicated stage doors, typically used to whisk away A-list stars during the fest.

Bailey’s comments will heap considerable pressure on Canada’s under-fire Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, who has faced criticism for characterizing the documentary as propaganda. “It’s not right for Canadian public money to be supporting the screening and production of a film like this,” she told press on Sept. 10, despite having not seen the film at the time.

Following the minister’s comments, hundreds of Ukrainian Canadians took to the streets of Toronto to protest the first press and industry screening, waving placards and chanting “shame on TIFF.” In tandem with the protests, the board of Canadian public broadcaster TVO announced it would no longer be screening or supporting the film, in an unprecedented move that overruled the network’s executive team and commissioning editors.

However, the film was seen by a significant number of Canadian journalists during the fest, with press reaction unanimous in rejecting the deputy prime minister’s characterization.

Running the gamut from left-wing to -right, the country’s three national newspapers – the Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail and the National Post – all published pieces praising the film (which this writer has seen) as a powerful anti-war polemic that portrays Russia’s infantry as inept and unmotivated, feeling betrayed and confused about why they are actually fighting.

“Russians at War is a brave and exceptional documentary,” wrote The Globe and Mail, in its review. “It shows, unvarnished, the horrors of the war, including some of the most horrific footage you will ever see on a big screen. This documentary in no way glorifies Russia or its army or its war effort. This film in no way demonizes Ukraine or its people.”

Alluding to Minister Freeland’s remarks, Bailey told attendees: “I believe that surrendering to pressure from some members of the public – or from the government – when it comes to presenting any cultural product, can become a corrosive force in our society. We were guided by TIFF’s mission and its values when we selected the film, and I believe those principles – and the principle of independent media in Canada – are worth defending.”

Bailey reiterated that Trofimova’s film (which is a France-Canada co-production seeking international distribution) went through a “rigorous selection process” and was invited based on its “artistic merits” and on its “relevance to the horrific, ongoing war prompted by Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine.”

He added that TIFF screened a number of docs from Ukrainian filmmakers at the 2022, 2023 and 2024 festivals, offering firsthand insights into said horrors.

“We are deeply sympathetic to the pain felt by Ukrainian Canadians at the violence and destruction caused by Russia’s invasion,” Bailey concluded. “But verbal abuse and threats of violence, in response to the screening of a film, cross a dangerous line.

“We’re presenting Russians of Wars to stand against that abuse, against those threats, and for the importance of media and curatorial independence.”



Source link

Tags: FestivalFilmLEDPullRussiansThreatsTorontowar
Share30Tweet19
Connie Marie

Connie Marie

Recommended For You

Mickey Rourke, Peter Facinelli Movie ‘Bring the Law’ Gets Release

by Connie Marie
February 20, 2026
0
Mickey Rourke, Peter Facinelli Movie ‘Bring the Law’ Gets Release

Mickey Rourke and Peter Facinelli are among the castmembers of a forthcoming crime feature aiming to bring thrills to theaters. Level 33 Entertainment is set to release filmmaker...

Read more

Hey /r/movies! I’m Bart Layton. I’ve directed CRIME 101, AMERICAN ANIMALS, and THE IMPOSTER. CRIME 101 is out in theaters now and stars Chris Hemsworth, Halle Berry, Mark Ruffalo, Barry Keoghan, Monica Barbaro. Ask me anything!

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
Hey /r/movies! I’m Bart Layton. I’ve directed CRIME 101, AMERICAN ANIMALS, and THE IMPOSTER. CRIME 101 is out in theaters now and stars Chris Hemsworth, Halle Berry, Mark Ruffalo, Barry Keoghan, Monica Barbaro. Ask me anything!

Hey reddit! I'm Bart Layton. You might know me as the director of AMERICAN ANIMALS and THE IMPOSTER. My new film, CRIME 101, is out in theaters worldwide...

Read more

George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
George R.R. Martin Preferred A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS as a Two-Hour Movie Instead of an HBO Series — GeekTyrant

The world of Westeros keeps expanding, but it sounds like one of its latest chapters could have turned out very different. According to the showrunner of A Knight...

Read more

Watch the Trailer for James Van Der Beek’s Final Film ‘The Gates’

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
Watch the Trailer for James Van Der Beek’s Final Film ‘The Gates’

James Van Der Beek’s final film role has been revealed. The late actor stars as a sinister pastor with a dark secret in the trailer for upcoming thriller...

Read more

The Night Agent Team on Why Rose Is Absent in Season 3, Talk Future Return

by Connie Marie
February 19, 2026
0
The Night Agent Team on Why Rose Is Absent in Season 3, Talk Future Return

The creative team behind The Night Agent is sharing details about Season 3’s most noticeable changes, the absence of Rose. As viewers question why the character does not...

Read more
Next Post
Who Morgan Is Looking For

Who Morgan Is Looking For

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Celebrity
  • Comics
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • Music
  • TV
  • Uncategorized

CATEGORIES

  • Celebrity
  • Comics
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • Music
  • TV
  • Uncategorized
No Result
View All Result

Recent News

  • Foo Fighters Fashion ‘Favorite’ 12th Album
  • Rapper Lil Poppa’s Cause Of Death Revealed • Hollywood Unlocked
  • Eric Dane Dead at 53

Copyright © 2025 DramaWired.
DramaWired is a content aggregator and not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Celebrity
  • DramaAlert
  • Gossip
  • Movie
  • TV
  • Music
  • Comics
  • Shop

Copyright © 2025 DramaWired.
DramaWired is a content aggregator and not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In