
Credit: Instagram
Nikki Garcia was granted a restraining order against her estranged husband, Artem Chigvintsev, earlier this week after filing a petition in which she revealed details about the Dancing With the Stars pro’s alleged abuse.
Just over a week after the Napa County District Attorney’s Office announced that Artem, 42, would not be charged following his August domestic violence arrest, Nikki, 40, stated in court documents that Artem “tackled [her] multiple times and pinned [her] to the ground while [their] child was present.”
According to an October 3 report from TMZ, Nikki alleged that Artem had become “increasingly angry, snapping at me, and yelling” after he failed to be included in the currently airing 33rd season of DWTS.
Looking back at the morning of his arrest, Nikki, who had previous conversations with Artem about his anger issues, said that her spouse got mad at her about the way their four-year-old son Matteo’s English muffin should be toasted, accusing her of turning the child into a “picky eater.”
In response, Nikki admitted to throwing Matteo’s shoes in Artem’s direction, hitting him in the leg. This reportedly prompted the dancer to grab the child and run upstairs as Matteo yelled, “Mommy! Mommy!”
When Nikki attempted to go into the room where Artem and Matteo were, Artem tackled her to the ground, grabbed her arms, and held her there for 30 seconds. He then returned to the room, and Nikki again tried to get in, at which point he opened the door and pushed her into their own room, forcing her to lie down on their bathroom floor and pushing his hands into her chest. Feeling as if she was being suffocated, Nikki reached for Artem’s neck to defend herself.
After the police arrived at the home, following a call made by Artem, Matteo said, “Daddy hurt my hand.”
Also in her court documents, Nikki said that Artem had been aggressive with her in mid-2023.
“[He] violently grabbed me around my waist” to keep her away from their son, she wrote.
Nikki mentioned that Artem had been verbally abusive toward her as well and that she doesn’t want Matteo to grow up in a turmoil-filled household.
Nikki said she hoped Artem could get therapy and take anger management classes to mend his behavior as she and their son have time away from him.
Following the filing of her court documents, a judge banned Artem from contacting or coming within 100 yards of her, their son, and their home, except during court-ordered visits (Artem is also allowed FaceTime calls with Matteo). The judge also denied Nikki’s request to take Matteo out of the country for work until their hearing on October 21.
Although Artem vacated their marital home in August, the judge is waiting to issue a “move-out order” against him until their day in court.
“Due to the incident that led to Artem’s arrest on August 29, 2024, Nikki has decided to file for a temporary Domestic Violence Restraining Order to protect herself and her son. Although Nikki requested that the Napa District Attorney not file charges against Artem as she did not want him to go to jail, he must still be held accountable for his actions, and Nikki and her son must be protected,” Nikki’s rep said in a statement. “Nikki’s number one priority has always been the well-being of her son. She is thankful for all of the love and support she has received and continues to ask for privacy for her and her family during this difficult time.”